What’s at stake?
Packaging is key to avoid product leakage, to ensure safe use and to enable correct dosage. But, there are potential environmental impacts once the packaging is disposed of, unless it is collected and recycled correctly.
To capture the economic benefits of a more resource-efficient and circular approach, waste can be considered in the following hierarchy:
Packaging savings across life cycle
A.I.S.E. is committed to a circular economy and sustainability, aiming to reduce the environmental footprint all along the life cycle of detergents and maintenance products. This is achieved through the development and implementation of the following relevant activities:
- Efficient design and use of packaging material
- efficient use of packaging material per job (maximum thresholds defined);
- use of recycled material (incl. thresholds for paper board / sustainable sourcing).
2. The Charter KPI reporting
, which shows a 14% reduction of packaging weight per consumer unit since 2006
We estimate that 35,000 tonnes of packaging have been saved via the PREPs projects.
- Provision of relevant consumer guidance for sustainable consumption
The Cleanright tip: ‘Save packaging - recycle’ is featured on billions of products since 1998.
5+ billion products sold since 2011
- Closing the loop (under development)
Basic principles for improved product packaging design, in order to improve recyclability of packaging and increase use of recycled material
Cooperation within the value chain
Several A.I.S.E. member companies have recycling and recyclability targets
How A.I.S.E.’s industry work has helped
• Quantitative achievements demonstrate that industry association-led initiatives can be more successful than regulation or individual company-led initiatives.
• Move the whole market to industry standards concerning efficient use of resources in a self-regulatory way.
• Leave innovation potential for companies.
• Common industry communication to drive sustainable behaviour benefits from a coordinated scheme, addressing consistent messages that can only be possible in such a context.