One of A.I.S.E.’s top priorities is to lead efforts to provide clear information to users about how to use cleaning and maintenance products safely, effectively and sustainably.
Safe, effective, sustainable
All cleaning and maintenance products manufacturers have a responsibility to provide products that are safe for their intended use, and to communicate about safe use both to consumers, who use their products every day in their homes, and to professionals who may be transporting, handling and using them in workplaces.
Several pieces of European legislation regulate the communication of safety information, including the Regulation on the Classification, Labelling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures. A.I.S.E.
actively supports these regulations and works to ensure they are implemented properly.
This is complemented by a number of voluntary initiatives led by A.I.S.E.
on voluntary safe use information as well as on the sustainable consumption of such products.
A.I.S.E.’s voluntary initiatives
In addition, A.I.S.E.
works on several fronts on a voluntary basis to ensure that communication on safe, effective and sustainable use of cleaning and maintenance products is clear, accessible and harmonised across Europe:
- Safe use – A.I.S.E. developed a set of safe behaviour tips and pictograms for household cleaning products as a voluntary initiative. Read more
- Safe use of drain cleaners - following collaboration with
Poison Control Centres in Sweden, Belgium, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands, A.I.S.E. has developed voluntary safety advice for consumer education of drain cleaners for marketeers of drain cleaners to
facilitate consumer education on the safe use of drain cleaners. Read more
- Sustainable consumption – We also work to encourage consumers to use cleaning products in a more sustainable way, including through our "I prefer 30°" campaign. Read more
- Cleanright – A.I.S.E. has developed the Cleanright web portal as the place to go online for clear and accessible information about household cleaning and maintenance products. Read more
- Information for professionals – Some of the safe behaviour tips and pictograms we have developed are aimed specifically at professional users. Read more
- Stewardship programmes (air fresheners and liquid laundry detergent capsules) inform consumers whether it be on-pack, online or through educational campaigns as we consider consumer information a key element to make informed choice and use the products as they are intended.
Artwork for each of the above initiatives may be found here